Kurukshetra University was founded in 1957. It has a well-developed multi-faculty campus on 473 acres of land on the south bank of Brahmsarovar. Since Dr. Rajendra Prasad, the first president of India, laid the foundation stone, the University has grown by leaps and bounds. It is now an advanced center for study and research that provides quality education that meets world standards.
The University has a centrally air-conditioned auditorium with room for 2500 people and a 70mm projector, Senate Hall, Conference Hall, well-equipped Sports Complex (play fields, Gymnasium, Stadium, Swimming Pool, Tennis Courts, Volleyball, and Basketball Courts, etc.), Teachers’ Club, Club for Administrative staff, 25 Hostels (11 for boys, 13 for girls, and 1 for foreign male students), School, Health Centre, Business Complex, and about 700 quarters for all types of staff. The Jawaharlal Nehru Library at Kurukshetra University has more than 3.8 million books, 181 foreign and Indian magazines, and 15,328 rare manuscripts. It also has an Internet Section with 200 nodes, a Computer Centre, a Museum, an Instrumentation (USIC) workshop, an NSS Centre, a Students’ Guest House, a Faculty House, etc. The University has 45 Teaching Departments on campus and 369 affiliated colleges in the districts of Ambala, Panipat, Kaithal, Yamuna Nagar, Hisar, Jind, Karnal, Kurukshetra, and Panchkula. It also has a Directorate of Distance Education, a University College, and a University College of Education.